Comparing two mags: one from a religious organisation, the other from the cultic scientology
Source ( scientologie) Secours Catholique "Caritas" Issued at 3 to 6000 copies, glossy paper etc. 32 pages, double cover 616221 copies., 32 pages, Ordinary paper Cost for one copy, estimation 3 US $ 0, 1 US $ summary all is publicity, but one page ( 97 % publicicty) 12 % is for "publicity charitable aspect 3 %, with private photos boasting the cults "charities" 88%, most neutral, without religious signs etc. Advertisement symbolism 50 "copyrighted" symbols, large size in many cases 6 symbols, 4 small et 2 middle sized.
Magazine scientologue "Source" n°, 137, français.
- Source (french issue) is issued by a scientology organization called Flag, receiving some 250 new clients every month. The whole publication can be estimated between 3 and 6000 a month.
- Luxurious aspect, professional shots and print, double cover, cost can be estimated near 3 dollars plus freight.
- Summary: see the shot. Observe that articles and most of photos and pages but one page, are aimed at sales and publicity, with pretty girls, gorgeous offices, actresses.... There is also a questionnaire to get personal infos aimed at selling more. A list of prices similar to this one adds up to more than 400000 dollars per individual.
- The exception to advertisement? page 24, one sees that self-called religion would have "charities" or social helps. Well, we see: 1/ five people very clean looking at the sceitnology professional photograph, as if they were streetsweeping in a street of Clearwater. 2/ twenty four scieno kids are said to have collected some few money for afghanistan children. The scieno photograph was there. 3/ three "scientology ministers" seem to put something on a wall, while 12 others are seen studying a paying course into the Flag organization. Obviously, the scieno photograph is there too.
- One is taught on page 25 that "IF YOU CANNOT FIND THE ANSWER IN THIS BOOK, THE QUESTION DOES NOT EXIST" (The book a scieno 100 dollars book to sell).
- The organism symbnols are giant: some, by instance inside the double cover, take half of the double page. It's the OT symbol. One can find it very big on pages 7 and 9, smaller on 10,11,16, giant on page 17, middle sized but twice page 18. The "Flag" symbol is there in the above image; then it is shown onto pages 12, 14, 15, twice page 17, Three times on tariffs lists, as many page 26, page 29, 30, and on back cover. Other symbols (scientology, SO, RTC) are there some 25 times. 50 times the symbols of the cult.
Now the magazine of Le Secours catholique
- Issued at: 616221 copies. The 32 pages must cost something like 0,1 dollar, plus freight. Shots are not many; they are not sdesigned to sell anything for the profit of catholicism, but to get donations for needful ones, that's charitable.
- Proselytism is very shy: one shot of a religious picture, page 3, a short article of a priest, page 4 (in favour of prayer, which does not cost any penny); an article on page 14, and on pages 28-29, two articles, one selling a religious book costing 13,5 dollars.
- Everything else describes the many charitable activities and needs of the organism, there is no pretty grils laughing, no actresses etc. The orgnisation promises not to give or sell its lists of donators to other such organisms. No guru shown.
- twice its own, and four other small or middle sized religious things.